Launched in August 2013, Avondale House is an initiative by the AF&V Launchpad charity, offering subsidised rental accommodation exclusively for service veterans and their partners making the transition to civilian life.
Avondale House has proved to be more than simply a place for veterans and their partners to live while looking for civilian jobs; it’s a community of friends living on the Byker Estate with a common purpose: to look after themselves, seek employment and establish their own businesses, contributing to the wider community in Newcastle.
|Residents helped clean Killingworth WWII memorial prior to ceremony to remember fallen soldiers|
- Previously homeless residents: 51
- Previously unemployed residents now self-employed: 1
- Residents participating in employability-improving education or training: 35
- Previously unemployed residents now in employment: 20
In addition, Avondale House residents are genuinely engaging with the initiative and their community – and demonstrating significantly improved life-skills:
- Residents taking responsibility for and mentoring other veterans: 14
- Residents participating in community-based projects: 17
- Residents showing and improved ability to manage personal finances and avoid debt: 8
|Residents of Avondale House maintain the Forces’ mantra of "healthy body, healthy mind" with free fitness and wellbeing classes, open days and community events|
Find out more about Launchpad
Thanks to the partner organisations that assist us: